Saturday, March 01, 2008

Ash does rule


9. "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor"
The students were doing their assignments and I was wandering around the library. I picked up Mr. Campbell's first book. I took it home and just finished the wonderful memoir.

Sure, I've seen the "Evil Dead" trilogy and have always enjoyed Bruce Campbell's presence in television and film, but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan. I knew about the book since it came out in 2002 and that's about it. I figured I would get around to it sooner or later and well, now is the time.

Bruce Campbell's book works well because he gives his positive, honest (at least it seems honest) and unique perspective on events ranging from building a tree house to making super 8 films with his "boys" to directing the final "Hercules" episode. What really made me enjoy the book is the author's outlook on success. Sure, he's not an A-list actor, but he enjoys his life. He gets to travel around the world, lands a critically acclaimed role every once in a while, enjoys his two kids and wife and, to the delight of you and I, kill the dead with a chainsaw.

No comments: