Monday, October 06, 2008

We could all use a drink


40. Dashiell Hammett "The Thin Man"
"The Thin Man" is one of my favorite films. Hammett is one of my favorite writers. Yet it took years for me to read one of his most well-known works. I guess I was afraid the book wouldn't live up to my expectations. I was wrong. The book is wonderful, darker than the film and different enough to both read and see the work.

Hammett's reputation is earned. His prose is stripped to the bare essentials. The dialogue is full of quick witted quips. There isn't room for too much thinking, not when there's drinking to do. And don't forget the murder. Hammett always makes sure the pages run red.

For those that love "Mad Men" and think smoking and drinking belongs to 1960, read any of Hammett's works. He married vice, excitement and class long before Madison Ave.

No comments: