Friday, April 28, 2006

Music, I've been working in music

My friends ask me what I'm listening to. I ask my friends what they're listening to. Fuck that. I don't want to talk to my friends. I HAVE A BLOG! Here are my...

TOP 68 ALBUMS OF 2006 AS OF TODAY, HOORAY, FUCK THE KKK!!!
1. Gnarls Barkley "St. Elsewhere"
"Crazy" is the best single of the year and "Just a Thought" is the best song of the year with the best lyric of the year, "It's not just good/it's great depression".
2. Mark Pickerel "Snake in the Radio"
Mr. Pickerel played drums in the Screaming Trees. Now he's fronting an alt-country band. It's great. Bloodshot's best release since Neko Case's "Blacklisted".
3. Sally "The Picardy Third EP"
Grrrtars. (Comment based on the work of the Charlie)
4. Neko Cash "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
No pro-tools, no Bloodshot and no remixes from The Neptunes.
5. MC Lars "The Graduate"
Critics hated this album. I liked every song on it. I know it's juvenile but I listen to every song without skipping, so it's good.
6. NOFX "Never Trust a Hippy"
"You're wrong for not hating Ann Coulter/cause she's a cunted cunt"
7. The Submarines "Declare A New State"
This album doesn't come out til June so don't try to steal it yet. I've never heard of the band and I'm pretty sure this is their debut. It's the album Mates of States would've made if they broke up.
8. Eagles of Death Metal "Death By Sexy"
This music should produce many children out of wedlock.
9. The Deadstring Brothers "Starving Winter Report"
I want to see them perform.
10. Magneto "Sounds Like Space"
Veruca Salt if they never dated Dave Grohl.

11. Quasi "When the Going Gets Dark"
If I was really hip I'd make this my number one pick.
12. The Strokes "First Impressions of Earth"
I hated the first Strokes album. I didn't like the second Strokes album. I like the Strokes third album.
13. Drive-By Truckers "A Blessing and a Curse"
I wish the Drive-By Truckers were the house band at the Horseshoe.
14. Sondre Lerche With the Faces Down Quartet "Duper Sessions"
15. Beth Orton "Comfort of Strangers"
16. The Sword "Age of Winters"
Metal. Metal.
17. NOFX "Wolves in Wolves Clothing"
18. Bonnie "Prince" Billy/Tortoise "The Brave and the Bold"
I listened to their version of Elton John's "Daniel" on repeat while wandering around Manhattan in March.
19. The Flaming Lips "At War with the Mystics"
20. charliedeets "The Lost Larrikin Long Play"
No grrtars.

21. Electric Six "Senor Smoke"
22. The Streets "The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living"
The hip-hop version of Arctic Monkeys.
23. Arctic Monkeys "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not"
The rock version of The Streets.
24. Brian Eno/David Byrne "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts"
Reissue. So what. New packaging and extra tracks.
25. Eels "With Strings: Live at Town Hall"
E might have released an album that is actually too depressing.
26. The Fever "In the City of Sleep"
27. Built to Spill "You In Reverse"
28. Ben Harper "Both Sides of the Gun"
Anyone can enjoy this double album, even if you don't get high every other hour.
29. The Concretes "In Colour"
30. Cat Power "The Greatest"

31. Mudhoney "Under a Billion Suns"
32. I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness "Fear Is On Our Side"
33. Sean Watkins "Blidners On"
Some dude from Nickel Creek's third solo album is actually good.
34. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins "Rabbit Fur Coat"
The soft singing is a turn off but there's something about this album that I initialy dismissed. Probably the twins. COORS LIGHT RULES!!!
35. The Vines "Vision Valley"
A few of the later tracks on the album are obviously influenced by late 60s psychadelic rock. These songs are good.
36. Goldfrapp "Supernature"
37. Secret Machines "Ten Silver Drops"
38. The Coup "Pick a Bigger Weapon"
39. Rainer Maria "Catastrophe Keeps Us Together"
40. The M's "Future Woman"

41. The Lawrence Arms "Oh! Calcutta!"
42. Massive Attack "Collected"
I've only listened to one of the two discs and haven't watched the 16 videos that comes in the package. Once I do this will probably rise in the list.
43. Loose Fur "Born Again in the USA"
I did not enjoy this one as much as the debut. I blame the lack of painkillers.
44. Mates of State "Bring It Back"
45. Two Gallants "What the Toll Tells"
46. Islands "Return to the Sea"
47. Elefant "The Black Magic Show"
48. The Minus 5 "The Minus Five"
49. Morningwood "Morningwood"
50. Bruce Springsteen "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions"
Though I've never been a fan of Springsteen his voice really fits with these songs. The laid back atmosphere of random studio musicians doesn't hurt either.

51. Placebo "Meds"
Just as good as their last two albums. Just as decent. Yep.
52. The Metal Hearts "Socialize"
53. Hank Williams III "Straight to Hell"
54. Fiery Furnaces "Bitter Tea"
55. Audio Bullys "Generation"
56. MONO "You Are There"
57. Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos "The Dust of Retreat"
These guys have only been around since late 2004. Good for them?
58. Pretty Girls Make Graves "Élan Vital"
I'm fucking hip.
59. Young People "All At Once"
60. The Dresden Dolls "Yes, Virginia"
Maybe I'll understand all of it by the end of the year. I bet there's nothing to understand, it's on Roadrunner.

61. Morrissey "Ringleader of the Tormentors"
62. Revolting Cocks "Cocked and Loaded"
I'll always consider Al a Chicagoan because he did most of the hardcore drug use here.
63. Belle and Sebastian "The Life Pursuit"
64. Arab Strap "The Last Romance"
65. The Sounds "Dying to Say This To You"
TITTIES ON THE COVER!
66. Controller.Controller "X-Amounts"
67. Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Show Your Bones"
"Gold Lion" is a good song. The rest is shit. SHIT! GO BACK TO THE BLOW YOU OLD FUCKS!!!
68. Calexico "Garden Ruin"

Albums that will probably be on this list as soon as I hear them
Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan "Ballad of the Broken Seas"
Pearl Jam "Pearl Jam"
Tool "10,000 Days"
Jesus and the Devil

Bold = Chicago based

Since I'm working for a summer music festival, college radio station and Music with Meaning 7, I listen to a lot of new music. I've probably reviewed 500 albums since January. I'm lucky to be able to hear so much music for free. I know that none of this matters. Music reviews are subjective so all they really need to say is "Good" or "Bad". I know this but continue to write about albums. Whatever. My album is the best album ever created.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, someone else who's heard of MC Lars, I love the Graduate too, espcially MC Chris' role in Roommate from Hell. The new Streets CD is also the best they've done, I think. I just got the new Tool and Pearl Jam this week if you want them?