Sunday, April 30, 2006

You'll never be satisfied if you don't know why you're doing it

With each passing day I'm getting shorter and shorter with the talent that is part of Music with Meaning 7. Questions that need to be answered like set times, prices, load-in times, etc. don't bother me. They make sense. Questions and/or concerns about bands getting paid don't irritate me. I can understand that. Gas is expensive, it's a hassle to lug equipment around, blah blah blah. I'm in a band, I get it. What I don't get is when bands with little to no real fan base expect to be treated like they sold out an arena.

In every interview I've given about Music with Meaning (I know it's not a lot, but humor me) I've wanted to talk shit about all the bands that said no for what I consider bullshit reasons. Bullshit reasons are: wanting money (bands didn't get paid for Music with Meaning 1-6) and not playing "smaller shows". My response to the former complaint is that you don't deserve any money. You'd be playing 30-minutes for 100 people on a lineup with 10 other bands. If we split the money evenly among bands you'd be taking home about $15. That's nothing. Selling a shirt and CD would make you more and make the show worthwhile to play. To bands that want more money to play, break up. I only asked you to play because someone else likes you and charity is charity.

I never really had any performer tell me they were 'too big' until this year. It's funny to me because bands that they open for, bands that are 'bigger' are playing the festival. The band that said no has played showcases for every major and indie label they wanted to be on and all of them said no. The band hasn't had a decent show in 6-months. The band has lost key members. In other words, if they band ever 'makes it' it won't be with their current line-up and it won't be with the songs they're playing.

I won't write the name of the band. Anyone who is a friend of mine already know what band I'm referring to. The best part about the entire thing is I only asked the band out of pity. I like their frontman outside of a musical context and I felt bad for the guy because his band isn't really going anywhere.

No comments: