Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Warm, Feverish Midwestern Season

This week's "Anti-Social" Reader column is about Jessica Hopper's disappointing summer. Don't most summers seem disappointing, at least in the first few weeks of the fall?

My summer was disappointing. It got worse and the months progressed. Oh well. Once again, I bet most people feel this way. By the time August rolled around there were no more adventures. Nothing dangerous, exotic or exciting. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great. It was the month that established a routine. Wake up, look for work, watch network television, consider what to eat, not eat, allude to exciting possibilities, decide to not do much of anything, give up on the day around 7, begin reading at 7:15...It's not a particularly bad day, but it's far from life changing. I didn't take any walks or ride a bike or skateboard. Going outside means spending money and that was not part of the agenda.

As soon as I begin a steady job I'll miss not doing anything (not that I'll be doing anything at the job, but it'll be outside a 8x12 foot room).

It's funny when Alex Trebeck gets excited. It's sad that I've seen this happen many times in the past few weeks.

My high school's five-year reunion was last Saturday. I did not attend. I was working. If I was not working I would not have attended. Since I first learned about reunions I decided that I would only attend if I had a better life than at least half of the people there. Unemployed meant not going. Running a successful business meant going. But why? If you only see these people every five or ten years who cares what they think? I think I'll go to the ten-year reunion with another guy and tell everyone that I was in the army but my love of my fellow man at arms led me astray. Then I'll drink a lot of booze.

Maybe if I went on more adventues I wouldn't be thinking about my high school reunion while watching Jeopardy!.

No comments: