Saturday, May 10, 2008

Choir reading


22. Thomas Frank "What's the Matter with Kansas"
Frank makes sense, at least to me. Reading a three year old book about the conversion of blue collar Democrats to blue collar Republicans isn't that revelatory, but I think I have a better understanding why people pull certain levers in booths.

"What the Matter with Kansas" brings up problems with the Democratic party, the difference between Republican "Cons" and "Mods" and, most interesting to this reader, the way anyone could vote against their own interest. Frank doesn't bog the book down with rants against any one party and gives ample respect for everyone interviewed. I especially enjoyed the 60 plus pages of notes to offer ample evidence for each point raised.

Since the book enjoyed some success, a response book entitled "What's the Matter with California" has been released. I will not read this book. I probably should. I know I won't agree with any of it, but if I read one I should read the other. In other words, I didn't need to read "What's the Matter with Kansas." I knew Frank presented evidence to prove points I already agreed with, yet I read it. I can now quote one more piece of literature when talking with my fellow liberal leaning friends about the influence of god on everything in the Midwest.

No comments: