Friday, July 18, 2008

Sad and lonely


62. "Super High Me"
I think Doug Benson is a very good comic. I laugh at his pot jokes. I do not get high. I figured the film would bore me and end up turned off within the first 15 minutes. I was wrong. This documentary/experiment was a not-too-pothead friendly look at both the comedians life and the affects of marijuana. Like "Super Size Me," it's obvious what those affects are, the study is the reason for film but not the reason to keep watching. Benson's solitary life as a stand-up is what makes the film engrossing.

Two-thirds of the film is about Benson not smoking for thirty days, followed by thirty continuous days of smoking. The other third is about the legality situation of medical marijuana in California. Since the state said it's legal over 200 shops have sprung up. The Feds do not agree and occasionally shut down stores. That stuff is boring. What's sad and kinda funny is watching Benson smoke up alone, send his mother money because no one else does and perform with his friends.

No comments: