Monday, September 29, 2008

The Coen Brothers first draft


82. "Burn After Reading"
If the Coen Brothers hadn't made this film I wouldn't have seen it in a theater. I think that means I respect or admire the Coen Brothers. If the Coen Brothers hadn't made this film I would've given it a B. Since it is a Coen flick I'll give it a C, only because it's nowhere as good as "No Country For Old Men" or "O Brother". In other words, ignore this first paragraph.

"Burn After Reading" is 95 minutes of actors having a good time. The story is a device for pros to let down their guard. It's fun. It doesn't mean much, or anything. Films don't have to have a message or a story to be good. Then again, most films don't have Clooney, Pitt, Malkovich or McDormand. This film is like watching the 1992 US Basketball 'Dream Team' play a pick up game.

No comments: