Friday, February 20, 2009

Mr. Van Sant's Oscar film


4. "Milk"
A good film but not the best bio pic. We don't meet Harvey Milk until he's about to celebrate his 40th birthday. We see him til his death eight years later. In other words, we get a glimpse at a very interesting man's life. I only mention this because my friend Tony brought to my attention that every year at least one bio pic is nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.

2008 was the perfect year to release this film. With the controversial Prop 8 ruling and the election of Obama, a film liked "Milk" thrived. The performances were excellent and all of the acclaim was earned. There's not much else for me to say that hasn't already been written. See this film. Encourage any homophobic teenager you know to see this film.

The use of David Bowie's "Queen Bitch" was excellent. The song was stuck in my head for days.

No comments: