Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jon Brion is in it


47. "Funny People"
I've spent too much time thinking about this film. I didn't love the film but I didn't hate it. I was told I'd love it. I was told I'd hate it. I was told that it showed a lot of growth. I was told it was Adam Sandler's best role. I don't think I agree with anyone I talked to about this film.

Stand-up on screen doesn't work too well. Maybe if it was performed by real stand-ups, or the real stand-ups got to be funny, it would have worked better. For example, Aziz Ansari plays a stand-up named Randy. He's bad and relies on gimmicks. He's used to show that gimmicks can but probably shouldn't work in making people laugh. Fine. But Aziz Ansari actually did perform stand-up and it's actually funny. Why not let Aziz play the comic that's funny and give the gimmicky stuff to someone that isn't a stand-up, like Sandler, Rogen or Hill. (I realize that Sandler and Rogen have performed stand-up but it has been at least a decade since Sandler did it and I'm pretty sure Rogen hasn't done stand-up since "Freaks and Geeks")

It did go on for too long. It wasn't a big problem.

According to most current mainstream comedies, I do not joke about my penis enough.

The heavy parts weren't too heavy but the funny parts weren't that funny.

I've spent too much time thinking about this film.

No comments: