Thursday, November 26, 2009

The pre-monsters act is the highlight


76. "Where the Wild Things Are"
It didn't work. It looked great but just didn't do anything for me. The art direction deserves any award it garners but other than that, the film is forgettable.

To prove that I am somewhat of a hipster I should mention that I do have strong memories of this book. My mother read it to me as a small child. In first grade or so she took me to the Magic Tree bookstore (the bookstore featured in the film "Rookie of the Year") for a reading of the book. At the end of the reading Domino's Pizza was delivered. It was nice. I remember it clearly. The book, though not good, resonated for quite some time based on the memory. Therefore, I was expecting, well, something good from the film.

The main problem with the film, at least in my experience, is expectations. The book is short. If the film was faithful to the text it would have a run time of 7 minutes. Max is an asshole. He's a brat which makes him unlikeable. Childhood memories are fuzzy and with time, take on a magical quality. In other words, unless the film made me feel like I was in a crib, suckling on a bottle of warm milk and gave me reassurance that no one ever would die or be sad, it would be a disappointment. At the same time, so what? It's just a book. Any book can be a film. Nothing is sacred and with that in mind, the film is just eh.

The trailer is perfect. Just watch it over and over and over until you want to run in a field and laugh like a kid. The film will make you glad that you are no longer a child and extremely glad you don't have a ten year old boy.

No comments: