Saturday, October 08, 2005

The one where Young has devil horns

The Machine office has about 100 cds and 100 records. Whenever I don’t know what I want to listen to, I put on AC/DC’s “Highway To Hell.”

AC/DC is possibly the only band that sounds better to me every time I hear them. Sure, I haven’t liked anything they’ve put out since 1990, but it doesn’t matter. The entire Bon Scott era is damn near perfect and the first 10-years of Brian Johnson was good too.

I don’t like AC/DC because they sing about sex, drugs and rock and roll. I don’t like AC/DC for their Australian take on the blues. I don’t like AC/DC because of Angus Young’s guitar solos. I love AC/DC because their music matches their subject matter. Led Zeppelin’s music does not match their lyrical content. I don’t think of Frodo when I hear them, even though Mr. Plant is singing about him. Black Sabbath sang about evil shit, but their music wasn’t evil enough for me. “Fat Bottom Girls” by Queen is the best example of music and lyrics that just don’t fit. I’m sorry Mr. Mercury, but all songs about ass should be bass heavy.

AC/DC has released some of my favorite music of all time. I’ll listen to it alone, at a party, in a bar, during service, at a funeral…it doesn’t matter, because if I want blood, I got it.

No comments: