Thursday, August 21, 2008

NERD ALERT!


31. Douglas Copeland "jPod"
I did not like this book. This book did not make me want to read anything else by Douglas Copeland. This book made me glad that I don't have discussions like the characters in "jPod." This book was loaned from a friend so I read it. He did a bad job with his recommendation.

I've waited to write this because all of my friends that have read "jPod" enjoyed every bit of it. From the 20 pages of Pi to the pages with five words in 40 point font, the conversations about fast food, Atari games and anime love, the absurd plot lines and unrealistic action, Copeland did no wrong. Everything they loved made me want to stop reading.

Another friend, not the one that loaned the book, told me that "jPod" is brilliant because it spits water at the people that panned Copeland's "Generation X." I didn't read "Generation X" and probably won't after this read. A book should stand up on its own. I doubt Copeland would agree. In order to understand the majority of "jPod," the reader needs a thorough understanding of Western pop culture for the last 30 years.

Most of all, I loathed Copeland writing himself in the book. If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, you may not hate this book.

No comments: