Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Fireworks are romantic


"Only The Lonely"
This was one of the first films my mom rented when we got our first VCR. I remember thinking it was a sad and beautiful film. John Candy's role was a frightening look at what it was like to live with your mother at 35. The scene at Comiskey Park broke my heart. I thought it was a great use of nostalgia and loneliness. I thought it was the best film made for adults that want to be in love. I was nine years old. Upon re-watching this film I no longer find it to be the best film made for adults that want to be in love.

I forgot about the fantasy scenes about Candy's mother. Each time he's guilted into staying with her, or at least guilted in his head, he envisions his mother's demise. These little scenes seemed like a waste of time and money. This may be one of the few films that might have been better with a smaller budget.

The Netflix description for this film says it's a remake of "Marty". The lead in "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With" wants to star in the remake of "Marty" being made in his film. Odd.

I wish John Candy was still alive. I would love to see him and Jeff Garland drink on stage and talk about whatever.

No comments: