Friday, February 26, 2010

I know that place!


10. "Public Enemies"
Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I don't know it I would have enjoyed this two hour and twenty minute film if I didn't live in Chicago, but I do, so I did.

Mann's 2009 film about, well, some stuff (What exactly is the plot? I didn't really sense one but it didn't matter) about John Dillinger was shot on HD cameras instead of 35 mm. While this isn't revolutionary, it's definitely different than the majority of films made about gangsters in the 30s. Mann's directing really wasn't about the actors but about where the camera was pointing. It's an aesthetic that you either love or hate. I happened to love it.

Could this film have been shorter? Sure. At least twenty minutes aren't needed. It didn't bother me. The style was so pleasant I could've watched another hour without getting bored.

I have a feeling this film will be re-examined in ten years or so and we'll all come to the consensus that it was a lot better than first thought. Mann's style will be copped for other big budget time pieces. It's too inventive not to.

No comments: