Friday, February 19, 2010

NERDS!


7. "Mystery Team"
I felt like an asshole watching this film. It's a great indie film with a story that's delightful. The lead, Donald Glover ("Community"), is charming and funny. The other guys in the troupe compliment him well. Aubrey Plaza ("Parks and Recreation," an excellent choice for Daria if a live action film ever happens) has taken the place of Elizabeth Banks as the indie comedy dream girl. Bobby Moynihan ("SNL") steals every scene he's in. I like a lot about this film. I did not like my experience. Why is that? How can someone like what's on the screen but not leave the theater happy? Well, it's quite easy. All you have to do is have a bias against people that enjoy things.

I saw this film at a midnight screening at the Music Box. The majority of the crowd appeared to be superfans of Derrick Comedy, the troupe behind the film. They laughed at exposition. They acted like stereotypical comedy nerds. Before seeing this film I knew nothing about Derrick Comedy. After seeing this film I was not interested in learning any more. Sure, the jokes are good, but I did not enjoy the company of their fans.

In other words, the film is good and I'm a judgmental prick.

No comments: