Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Girl power?


87. "Whip It"
After seeing "Hard Candy" I've been holding Ellen Page to an unrealistic standard. This film lowered that standard.

Drew Barrymore's directorial debut isn't awful. That being said, I doubt anyone will be digging this out of their DVD collections a few years from now. Nothing memorable and a lot of manufactured teen angst played by not teenagers.

The film is set in the present day. Apparently, everyone in Texas wears clothes that look like they were made in 1976 and never worn.

If I was told that there would be a film about women's roller derby when I was in high school I would assume that I would love it, especially if the lead was played by someone like Page. I guess some things just work better on paper and in alternate time realities.

No comments: