Thursday, June 29, 2006

Music with Meaning Night 26 Recap

I had to pause before writing this entry. I forgot what MWM event was on Monday. Monday was only three days ago. I'm that tired.

Now I remember. The event was at Phyliss' Musical Inn. The first MWM show at that bar. About 40 people came to the tiny bar and everyone seemed to dig everyone. The two touring bands, ari.ari. and Man At Arms were fucking loud. I missed most of Man At Arms because I was deaf from Fetor practice, but ari.ari. blew me away. Their singer/screamer is one of the most polite women off stage but while playing with her band, she writhed on the floor, screamed 6-inches from the crowd and jumped. She jumped on amps, chairs, people, the bar. It was great. The Notes and Scratches had more in common with Neutral Milk Hotel than Iggy Pop but the 'crowd' didn't leave. Instead, everyone came closer and for a few minutes it seemed like Chicago could have a music community not based around one genre, radio station or club.

The Notes and Scratches closed with "The Rainbow Connection".

No comments: