Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Music with Meaning Night 5 Recap

Thanks to The Skeeballs for driving out from Lake Geneva to play the Horseshoe on a Monday night. Thanks to everyone who came out. Thanks to The Stranger for playing an excellent 45-minute set of rockabilly. They were a perfect example of four parts coming together to drown out the rest of the world/bar.

I wanted to mention Joshua Dumas the other day. He read on night 3 at Mojoe's. Before the reading I had yet to meet Mr. Dumas. Through the festival we 'met' through emails and he asked to read. I said yes. His reading/performance/whatever was definitly one of the best yet. His story of lost/not lost/never there love was both heartbreaking and beautiful. He started slow and uncomfortable. He finished the same way. Everyone was paying heed to every word uttered. People with published books leaned over to ask me, "Who is this guy? He's great."

I'm still sick. I can't sleep due to construction. Tonight's show at Subterranean should be nice and mellow.

God damn jackhammers.

I almost forgot, today is 6/6/06. I am the most evil and most good motherfucker ever. It's a fact.

The next 7 days...
mellow, ambient rock
drunken grunge, grrrl, punk rock
readings - ROCK
8 bands in a classroom
critically acclaimed piano men
spinning records in Pilsen
HIP-HOP

No comments: