Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I wish all the characters died


2. Jay McInerney "Bright Lights, Big City"
I should've known I wouldn't sympathize with a protagonist with a privileged background. It's a fault of mine and a credit to McInerney that I was able to start and finish this book in a little over a day. The characters and story is quintessential NYC, 80s, cocaine loving, yuppie lifestyle empty vessels. The payoff comes in the last page. Whether it's good or bad is obviously up for debate. I was never sold but couldn't put the book down.

It's obvious by the end of the second chapter that this book would be made in a film. The 1984 novel was made into a 1988 film starring Michael J. Fox. I would like to see this film. I have a feeling it'll be awful. It's also obvious why novels by Chuck Palahniuk became so popular after this wave of pointless 20 something males were done with their time. I guess the current wave is being led by people like Chuck Klosterman? Doesn't matter. What I'm trying to say is that I understand why a lot of people liked this book. I didn't.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I saw the movie. All I remember about it is that at one point Michael J. is stuffing meat down his pants. Which is hilarious.