Saturday, January 17, 2009

The one time I wish Guns N' Roses ended a film instead of Springsteen


2. "The Wrestler"
It's depressing and powerful and Micky Rourke is great and Marissa Tomei is a believable stripper and Darren Aronofsky proved again that he's a great director. He should win an award just for using "Sweet Child O' Mine" in a powerful way. Everything you have read is true. See this flick.

I did not cry in the theater and I'm not really sure where someone would cry. The entire thing is heart wrenching. Randy "The Ram" is a broken man in a dreary city with no one that cares. That's clear from the first scene and not much changes. It's believable and human, two things not usually associated with professional wrestling.

The film is near perfect. I don't recommend seeing it with children or those with conservative social values.

---

My favorite tidbit about "The Wrestler" is that the writer, Robert D. Siegel, used to write for "The Onion".

No comments: