Thursday, March 19, 2009

Krazy


9. Matt Tiabbi "The Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics & Religion at the Twilight of the American Empire"
After fifty pages I began to enjoy Tiabbi's angry and mean musings. After three hundred pages I'm glad I stuck with the book. I haven't been swayed in any way, but I don't think I was meant to. I don't think anyone would be swayed by "The Great Derangement," but what are you going to do?

If you believe in Jesus Christ and believe that he is the one true savior of the world and that those who don't repent are doomed to hell you probably won't enjoy this book. Tiabi goes undercover and joins a Texas MegaChurch. He sits through services and prayer meetings and retreats. He becomes friends with fellow parishioners. He comes to the conclusion that most of the people in the church mean well but are just lonely and loneliness will lead you to groups that believe in hellfire.

If you believe 9-11 was an inside job you probably won't enjoy this book. Tiabbi is targeted by the 9-11 conspiricists because he makes an off-handed remark in one of his columns. After that he meets some of these people and reads site after site of 'truths' and calls government officials and scientists. He becomes sympathetic to these people. He comes to the conclusion that most of the people that believe 9-11 was an inside job are just lonely and loneliness and a good internet connection may lead you to paranoia.

I know people like this. People on both sides. They're good people. I want to give them a hug but don't want them too close to me. Their sadness weighs me down and I don't know what my role should be. So I read books like this and feel no different.

No comments: