Monday, March 02, 2009

Scarlett Johansson as the lady with the low voice


11. "Vicky Christina Barcelona"
I'm not a big Woody Allen fan. My favorite film of his is "Sweet and Lowdown," not your typical Allen film. I wasn't expecting to like "Vicky" and I didn't, but it was what I expected, a nice dose of Allen's dialogue and some decent performances. Penelope Cruz was a standout and her few scenes are excellent. It's a shame she wasn't used more but what do you expect? You don't turn to Allen for a diverse array of realistic characters. No, Allen is for intellectuals and this film follows suit.

Cruz deserved the Oscar for this role. It's nice knowing that this character will never be seen again. A one time Allen character that deserved the praise she garnered.

2 comments:

avant/chicago said...

I agree with most your assesments of this film.The thing that bothered me about this film, and I was tainted going into it, is that Allen said he was trying to make a "Euro" film - I keep looking for that and may have taken something away. And Sweet and Lowdown is the best Allen film.

avant/chicago said...

I used the word film too much! :)