Thursday, March 19, 2009

Magic


27. "We Are Wizards"
Thanks, Hulu. I like documentaries too much and your new section of documentaries will give me hours of pleasure.

I have a few friends into Wizard Rock. They enjoy "Harry Potter" books and films. I've read the first two books and seen the first two films. They're good. I enjoy the fantasy in them and like anything that gets people reading. I understand the cult following but don't participate. I've been interested in this subculture for years and this film does an excellent job giving outsiders a decent idea what this whole thing is about.

The film follows a few Wizard Rock bands. It tells the story of the guy that did his own soundtrack to the first film. It follows a teenager that led the fight for Internet sites to post about Potter related news. It gives the Christian lady who thinks all things Harry Potter evil a chance to talk. It doesn't judge anyone. It lets the viewer get an idea of why people feel attached to this world.

It's good to have friends.

No comments: